Sometimes garage doors can be quite noisy and this can be a nuisance to those who are especially sensitive to noise. The fact is that the door should not make much noise at all when it opens and closes, and if it does, something may be dreadfully wrong. Here are some ways to find the cause of the problem and fix it. The information is mainly for homeowners in Atlanta Ga., but with the exception of the section near the end anyone can use it.
Where could the noise be coming from?
There can be several possible causes. One is that the door is off balance. If that is the case, then it could eventually cease to function if the problem is not attended to. There should be an emergency cord that you can use to open and close the door manually; if it starts to fall when you use that cord, then you have an unbalanced door.
Worn torsion springs and bad hinges are another common source of noisy doors. In particular if you hear a grinding noise it may be the hinges, which should be oiled. The springs, on the other hand, will probably need to be fixed by a professional.
Other possible reasons for unattractive noise include:
- worn rollers or pulley bearings: make a loud ticking sound; should be replaced only by a technician
- bent spring coils: makes grating noise; the springs should be replaced.
- aging, worn rollers: should be replaced, preferably with nylon ones as these do not make as much noise and do not require frequent oiling
Your garage door opener itself may be the source from which all those bad sounds are emanating. Screw drive openers are generally quieter than chain drive openers, while belt drivers are even quieter still. Those of the former type do tend to make noise as they get older, though, at which point they should be lubricated. Many homeowners prefer chain drive openers in spite of the noise they make because of the benefits that they offer, including low cost and an ability to withstand harsh weather conditions.
The steps to take
The following steps should be taken to remedy the noise problem:
- Tighten all nuts and bolts.
- Replace anything worn. Rollers should be replaced one at a time.
- Lubricate where necessary.
- Tighten the opener chain.
- Spray the springs, hinges and bearers with a spray that will not attract dirt and grease (this rules out lithium and other tacky sprays).
Repair companies in Atlanta Ga.
If you live in Atlanta, the following companies can perform the types of services on garage doors which we have mentioned require you to hire a professional:
- Atlanta Garage Door Service
- Precision Garage Door Atlanta
- Garage Door Repair Atlanta: provides services at affordable prices
- Garage Door Repair Dunwoody: specializes in fixing cables, tracks and weather strips,
- Garage Door Repair Sandy Springs: helps with installations, fixes broken springs
Some miscellaneous tips
In general, all of the parts of a garage door that move need to be lubricated regularly to prevent friction from wearing them out. That way, you can keep unpleasant sounds to a minimum. Remember that such noise is to machines what pain is to the human body: It is a sign that something is wrong, that some part is not functioning the way it was meant to function. Take proper care of your garage door and you will never have to deal with that kind of grating and grinding.
All Four Seasons garage doors is the premier full-service vendor for your garage doors Atlanta GA. For more information, to schedule a FREE estimate, or to request a service call, call us today at 678-981-8454!